Saturday, June 07, 2008

My Little Genie


our little princess has always been one to dress herself. at times it has really tried my patience and i have to remind myself that she's only young once. i've learned in the last 18 years that some things are better left alone. her choice of clothing is one of those things, usually...
i had errands to run today and had no intention of taking the little princess with me. looking at the picture you can imagine why. however, as i was about to walk out the door she came running to me asking to come. what do you say...no. no, you say sure, i'd love to spend time with you. i did ask her to change but it was no use, she really thought she looked great. it would have crushed her if i told her otherwise, she put so much effort into it. so, off we went me and the genie. we got a few looks but the smiles made her all the more confident. don't you wonder where that confidence goes...and at what point does a smile become a criticism. i could be the mom who fights the ongoing battle to make sure my sweet 4 year old is dressed impeccably every time we leave the house and make her as neurotic as the rest of us, or i can let her be herself and express her creativity thru her clothes even when it pains me to do so. it might be an uphill battle, but i'm going to do my best to keep her believing that a smile is exactly that, a smile. wish me luck.

3 comments:

kellibelli said...

that is so great! This would be hard to do at times...but you are so right....I love her creativity!

Betty aka Fudgie said...

I love "the princess" lots...you tell her for me!
Fudgie

Anonymous said...

Great Outfit! Barbara Eden would be Proud! Love, Poppy